You know those recipes that are staples in your household because they're so yummy, they're fast, and you know everyone will be happy with it? That's this recipe. I've been making it and perfecting it even before I was married. It comes from a cooking for two type of cookbook that I can't even remember the title of anymore.
I've made this taco salad for family get-togethers, for new moms who could use a homemade meal, and for my own family a few times each month. It never gets old!
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup salsa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large tomato, diced
1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salad add-ons: tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, black olives, avocado
1) Add ground beef to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until browned.
2) Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is translucent.
3) Season the meat with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and salsa.
4) Lower the temperature to medium-low, add black beans and tomato. Cook a few minutes just until tomato starts to break down, then remove from heat. Stir in chopped cilantro.
5) Assemble your salad with your desired additions and enjoy!