It's a chilly week here in Minnesota so I'm planning all of the cozy meals to keep us warm and comfy!
It was actually my husband's birthday today and I had every intention of making him a nice steak with herbed butter on top, some sort of fancy baked potato or something ... and I totally forgot about it.
I failed to meal plan before we went grocery shopping on a whim and lost sight of what was happening this week. BUT next weekend will be a family celebration for him during the Super Bowl, so I'll recover from my forgetfulness today :(
For tonight I made this yummy stew that totally hit the spot for this icy cold day!
It may not be steak, but holy moly it is affordable and comforting and totally doable for any night of the week.
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 quart beef broth
1-2 cups water
2 Tbsp tomato paste
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
16 oz frozen mixed vegetables
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large Dutch oven or soup pot brown beef over medium-high heat and break into pieces.
2) Add onion, garlic, salt to the beef and sauté until onion is translucent.
3) Add potatoes, broth, water, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, vegetables, and seasonings.
4) Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through and soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper
Alternate Instant Pot Directions
1) Set Instant Pot to 'Sauté' and add ground beef to brown. Add diced onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
2) Add remaining ingredients, cover and lock the lid. Set to 'Manual' for 12 minutes and quick release the pressure.