This is not a quick recipe by any means, which I was hesitant to even share this one with you since I am all about a fast, easy meal. But it's honestly one of my favorite recipes and I can't get enough of it!
What makes this low carb? The potato topping is swapped for cauliflower topping! In this world of low carb and keto diets cauliflower has raised its hand letting us know it can wear many hats and be transformed into many things - and actually taste good! I mean, have you tried my cauliflower pizza crust yet?
To make this faster, make this meal in advance either in its entirety on the weekend, or at least part of it, like the cauliflower mash, during your food prep day. The Instant Pot directions make this job a lot faster if you're lucky enough to have one. If I'm super short on time, I've been known to just make the filling and forego the cauliflower mash on top and call it good. Whatever you do, enjoy this recipe and don't let it scare you!
Ingredients for the filling:
1 pound ground beef
1 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, minced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup frozen peas
8 oz mushrooms, diced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup broth
1/2 tsp coconut aminos (to replace soy sauce)
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 Tbsp parsley
Pie Topping: 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Directions for the filling:
1) Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat.
2) Add garlic, onion, carrot, celery, peas, mushrooms to the pan and cook until veggies soften.
3) Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, broth, coconut aminos, tomato paste and parsley. Cook 5 additional minutes.
4) Transfer meat and veggie mixture to a 13x9 inch baking dish. Set aside while you prepare the cauliflower mash.
Ingredients for the cauliflower mash:
1 head cauliflower
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Dash of pepper
Instant Pot directions for cauliflower mash:
1) Add 1 cup of water to the pot of the pressure cooker. Insert the trivet.
2) Add the whole cauliflower head on top of the trivet. Cover and lock the lid, set to 'Steam' for 15 minutes and quick release when the time is up.
3) Open the lid and allow the cauliflower to cool a bit before you handle it.
4) Drain the water and remove the trivet from the pot. Add butter, salt, parsley, garlic powder and pepper to the pot and mash with the cauliflower.
Assemble the pie:
1) Scoop large spoonfuls of cauliflower mash and cover the meat and veggie mixture in the baking dish. Spread into an even layer with a knife, careful not to mash it into the meat mixture too much.
2) Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan.
3) Bake the shepherd's pie for 45 minutes until the topping is golden brown.