Meal planning can get old, which is why I need to spice things up a bit from time to time and try something new, a little bit out of my box, and freshen up our usual family meals.
Usually every meal plan includes some type of taco Tuesday, even if it's on a Wednesday. I'm a sucker for a good mix of spice, cilantro, and lime.
This recipe adds a little bit of sweetness to the mix and it is so refreshing! I used cauliflower rice (which is just finely chopped cauliflower) but you can always cook your favorite rice to add to this bowl of goodness.
Cauliflower rice is a good option to use if you have a fat loss goal and are trying to limit your daily carb intake. I personally try to limit my carbs in general but especially if I haven't done a lot of activity or exercise that day. Matching your carb intake to your activity is a good rule of thumb as you're getting started towards healthy fat loss. In the Food Focused option of my Strong Mom Bod program I teach you about each macronutrient (protein, fat and carb) so that you are clear about what your body needs in order to lose fat the healthy way.
Anywho... here's the recipe! I hope you try it out and let it add a little spunk to your typical Taco Tuesday (or Wednesday).
Pineapple Salsa Steak Taco Bowls
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 limes, halved
Pinch crushed red pepper
1 pound strip steak
1 Tbsp avocado oil
1 cup guacamole, premade
1 cup pineapple, diced
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 cups cauliflower rice (or cooked white rice)
1) Lay out the steak on a plate. Generously season the steak with salt and pepper on each side. Squeeze 1 half of a lime over the steak. Sprinkle a pinch of crushed red pepper on top. Leave at room temperature while you prepare the salsa.
2) For the salsa, add pineapple, jalapeno, juice from 1/2 lime, vinegar and 1/8 cup of chopped cilantro to a mixing bowl, toss together. Set aside.
3) Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle avocado oil in the skillet. Add the marinated steak to the pan and sear on each side, about 4 minutes per side (don't move the steak around in the pan! Let it sit to get nicely browned sides). Once steak has been seared on each side, remove the steak from the pan and place on a cutting board. Allow it to rest while you prepare the cauliflower rice.
4) Add the cauliflower rice to a microwave safe bowl, microwave for 4 minutes. Squeeze in juice from 1/2 of a lime and a couple tablespoons of cilantro, toss together.
5) Thinly slice the steak into strips, cutting against the grain of the meat with a sharp knife.
6) Assemble the bowls with a little bit of pineapple salsa, guacamole, cauli-rice, and steak.
Serves about 4.