Recipe titled for my son - it's his new phrase at 4 years old ☺️
But this recipe isn't just for my kiddos.
Nope. This is for me too!
I grew up on mac and cheese, homemade by my sweet mama. However, hers was made with the block of who knows what that kinda looks like cheese that you buy unrefrigerated in a box.... Do you know what I'm talking about?!
Instead, I've found a quick cheese sauce that is super easy to make from real ingredients - not the fake stuff.
It's still creamy and has the perfect mac and cheese flavor we all know from our childhood.
Give it a try and make sure to tag me in your mac and cheese pic on Instagram!
*Healthy tip: to up the protein content of this meal, choose a high-protein noodle. There are so many options these days, but something like Banza or a lentil pasta would work well. I also love the organic, gluten-free quinoa noodles from Aldi.
Easy Peasy Mac & Cheese
16 oz noodles of your choice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
2 Tbsp shredded parmesan
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cook noodles according to package directions. I personally like to keep them a little bit on the chewy side rather than too soft.
2) For the cheese sauce: In a small saucepan warm the cream and milk together on medium low, stirring frequently. Bring to a low simmer.
3) Melt in the cheddar and parmesan cheeses, stir to combine.
4) Season with salt and pepper (I typically go a little heavy on the pepper).
5) Melt in the butter. Stir until sauce becomes creamy and everything is incorporated.
6) Pour sauce over your cooked noodles. Enjoy!