Comfort food can always be made healthier and easier - the wild rice helps us do both!
The familiar creaminess of the gravy with the chicken and veggies combined with the wild rice is a perfect combination that even your kids will love.
Give this recipe a try, share it on Instagram and remember to tag me!
Pin the recipe and save it to make over and over again:
Chicken Wild Rice Pot Pie
2 cups wild rice uncooked (or precooked packets of wild rice)
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
1 pound raw chicken breast, cut into small pieces (can also use precooked chicken from a rotisserie chicken as well)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup half and half (or use half milk and half heavy cream)
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup water + 1 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cook wild rice with 1/4 tsp salt according to package directions. If using a microwavable pouch, cook according to package directions.
2) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and carrots to the skillet and cook until veggies start to soften.
3) Add chicken pieces and cook until chicken is no longer pink. If using precooked chicken, cook until warmed through.
4) Add the peas to the skillet to warm through.
5) Add wild rice to the skillet and stir to combine.
6) Pour into the skillet the cream, broth, and corn starch mixture; bring to a boil.
7) Melt in Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.